This 1 day training course, delivered by QQI Level 6 qualified instructors and is designed for individuals working in the healthcare and homecare sectors and who require training in the safe movement and handling of patients under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work 2005 and Manual Handling Regulations 1993 & 2007.
The recommended number of participants per course is 10.
To provide participants with the information, instruction and training to enable them to competently and safely carry out effective techniques used in safe moving and handling of people in a variety of settings.
- Current Legislation and application in a manual handling environment
- Musculoskeletal System
- Biomechanics and mechanism of injury
- Ergonomics and risk assessment
- Basic Principles of lifting
- Sitting a Patient up in bed
- Turning a Patient in bed using slide sheets
- Moving a patient up in bed using slide sheets & Wendylett Sheets
- Sitting a patient to the edge of a bed and standing
- Transferring patient from bed to chair
- The falling Patient
- Correct use of Hoist/Slings including use of SARA STEDY Hoist
- Use of Transfer Board
Assessment & Certification
Participants will be evaluated on their patient moving & handling techniques, competency must be demonstrated in all movements along with a multiple-choice questionnaire. On successful completion the candidate will receive a Demack Safety Certificate which is valid for 2 years.
This course contains elements of Classroom based practical work. Participants should wear loose, comfortable clothing as well as closed flat shoes or runners.